PARK CITY 2030 - 2034 - SALT LAKE 2030 - 2034
JUST BECAUSE WE CAN,,, SHOULD WE?
Let's take a look at this from all sides as "LOCALS"
Nestled in the heart of the majestic Wasatch Mountains, Park City, Utah, is a charming mountain town with a rich history and a unique Olympic legacy. As a 20 year local with a family and a business here, we've had the privilege of witnessing the transformation brought about by the 2002 Winter Olympics. Now, we're at a crossroads as we contemplate the possibility of hosting the Games once again in 2030 or 2034. In this post, we'll explore the benefits and potential downsides of hosting another Olympics, and what the future of Park City might hold for both residents and visitors. We hope this spurs conversation on both sides :)
*For the RECORD & to be absolutely clear we are in APPROVAL of hosting another GAMES in 2030 (not 2034) as we are concerned about the viability of the actual Games looking on the outside of (10) year from the date of this writing.. We are very aware of potential downfalls or mis-steps and will address a few here.
LET'S GO PARK CITY 2030!
Park City's Olympic Legacy
In 2002, Park City played a significant role as the host city for several Winter Olympic events, including alpine skiing, snowboarding, bobsled, and luge. The Games showcased our stunning mountain landscapes to the world and left behind a legacy of world-class sports facilities, which have since become a year-round recreational hub. The Utah Olympic Park, for instance, offers thrilling bobsled and luge rides, ski jumping, and a glimpse into Olympic history at the Alf Engen Ski Museum.
These are FUN! make sure you visit
Benefits of Hosting Another Olympics
1. Economic Boost: Hosting the Olympics can bring a substantial economic boost to our community. It can create jobs, stimulate local businesses, and generate tourism dollars. Our local economy will benefit from increased international exposure and a boost in tourism, and businesses can anticipate higher revenues.
2. Infrastructure Development: Preparing for another Olympics would necessitate infrastructure improvements and expansion. This could lead to better transportation options, upgraded sports facilities, and more efficient services for both residents and visitors. (Traffic Solutions / Transit ) LIGHT RAIL PLEASE!
3. International Spotlight: Hosting the Olympics puts us on the international stage once again. This exposure not only promotes tourism but also encourages investment, cultural exchange, and collaboration with the global community.
4. Community Spirit: The shared excitement and pride that comes with hosting such a prestigious event can foster a strong sense of community spirit driving investment into the local culture. It encourages participation in winter sports and other recreational activities, creating a healthier and more active population.
1. Financial Strain: Hosting the Olympics can be an expensive endeavor. The cost of building and renovating facilities, providing security, and organizing the event is significant. It's vital to ensure that public funds are used wisely and that the financial burden does not fall disproportionately on residents.
2. Environmental Concerns: We must consider the environmental impact of hosting another Olympics. Ensuring that the Games are sustainable and eco-friendly should be a top priority. Protecting our beautiful mountain environment is crucial.
3. Increased Congestion: Hosting the Olympics can lead to increased congestion, both in terms of traffic and crowds. Finding a balance between accommodating visitors and maintaining our unique mountain-town charm is a challenge.
The Future of Park City
Should we decide to host the Olympics again, it's essential to plan for the future of Park City to benefit both residents and visitors. This includes:
1. Sustainable Growth: Ensuring responsible and sustainable growth that protects our environment and maintains our small-town atmosphere.
2. Improved Infrastructure: Focusing on infrastructure development that benefits residents and visitors alike, with efficient transportation options and expanded recreational opportunities.
3. Community Involvement: Involving the local community in decision-making and ensuring that the Olympics bring positive, long-term impacts.
4. Economic Diversification: Capitalizing on the international exposure to attract investments beyond the Olympics, creating a diversified and resilient economy.
The decision to host the Olympics in 2030 or 2034 is a complex one for Park City, with both promising benefits and potential pitfalls. As a long-time local, I remain optimistic about the opportunities it could bring, but I'm also a realist who recognizes the challenges ahead. If we can carefully plan and execute the Games, we have the potential to create a legacy that benefits our community and shares the magic of Park City with the world once more. It's an exciting journey we're embarking on, and I'm hopeful that we can come together as a community to make it a success.
Either way WE WILL KNOW this coming Summer as the Official Announcement of "who" will host in both 2030 & 2034 will be announced at the upcoming #PARIS2034 Summer Games
Until then we will keep our heads and our thoughts held high in anticipation of the steps need to embrace and manage this "BLESSING"